We’ve Turned the Veggie Burger Into a Whole Meal with This California-Inspired Salad
Eat like a Californian with this vibrant smorgasbord of healthy, Cali-classic gems: creamy avocado, veggie patties, microgreens and more.
When you think about West Coast cuisine – and, specifically, California – it’s all about fresh, vibrant and good-for-you ingredients. As a leader in plant-based, veg-heavy meals thanks to the abundance of fresh produce in sunny California, the state is known for its veggie burgers made out of plant proteins and topped with veggie-rich sauces and toppings. And it’s this way of eating that inspired our version of a deconstructed veggie burger: The California Salad.
This salad is like a veggie burger piled high with a little of everything. It’s got crumbled goat cheese, heart-healthy beets, nutrient-rich microgreens, plus a dressing that’s made with fresh, fragrant herbs and a sweet-yet-tart combo of apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Well-rounded and surprisingly rich in flavor, The California Salad doesn’t skimp on anything, even though it doesn’t include any meat.
Plus, in addition to all of the vitamins, minerals and beneficial nutrients that you’ll get from this salad’s combo of microgreens, baby lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, beets and veggie patties, you’ll also being doing your gut some good. When you think of gut-healthy foods, classics like kimchi or kefir may come to mind. But did you know that the mighty green avocado is also an excellent choice? One fruit contains roughly 14 grams of fiber, which helps promote the growth of healthy gut flora. And we’ve sliced up a whole avocado to go along with this decadent yet extra-healthy salad.
So, step out into your garden for fresh veggies and herbs or head to your local grocery store. You’re going to want to enjoy The California Salad every time fresh produce is growing and readily available – it’s that good!
The California Salad
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces (about 7 1⁄2 oz)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup chopped steamed beets
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- 4 veggie patties of choice (TRY: Our homemade veggie patties)
- 1 cup microgreens or sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts, optional
- 2 oz goat cheese, optional
- Make dressing: In a small food processor, blend all dressing ingredients. (MAKE AHEAD: Make dressing up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Whisk well before using.).
- Make salad: In a large bowl, toss lettuce with 2 tbsp of the dressing (add more to taste), then divide among bowls. Arrange tomatoes, carrots, beets and avocado on top. Add a patty to each and top with microgreens. Sprinkle with walnuts and goat cheese (if using). Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 404
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 757 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g