Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 organic hot Italian chicken sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Handful button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup egg whites (or 8 egg whites)
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- Garlic powder, sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1-oz slice whole-wheat bread, crust removed and discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove casings from sausages and crumble filling into a large oven-safe nonstick pan on medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally. After about 5 to 7 minutes, when sausage is golden brown in color and almost cooked through, add bell pepper and mushrooms. Continue to sauté until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat as low as possible (or remove from stove if using a gas range). In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with mustard, garlic powder, salt and black pepper using a whisk or handheld mixer. (NOTE: Don't overdo it and make a meringue; simply incorporate flavors with eggs and lighten them up a bit.)
- Distribute bread evenly over sausage-mushroom mixture, if desired. Then pour egg white mixture evenly over top. Increase heat to medium-low or medium (return pan to heat, if removed). Sprinkle cheese over top. Once egg whites start to set and turn opaque, transfer pan to oven.
- Bake until cheese browns and bubbles, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to slice and serve.
Nutrients per serving (half of frittata): Calories: 232, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Carbs: 13 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 556 g, Cholesterol: 43 g
CUSTOMIZE YOUR PIZZA FRITTATA:
Add all the veggies you want! This is a recipe that you can have tons of fun with for any meal. Also, feel free to drizzle tomato sauce over top, if desired.