Customize Your Pizza Frittata: Add all the veggies you want! This is a recipe that you can have tons of fun with for any meal. Also, feel free to drizzle tomato sauce over top, if desired.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 organic hot Italian chicken sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Handful button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup egg whites (or 8 egg whites)
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1-oz slice whole-wheat bread, crust removed and discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove casings from sausages and crumble filling into a large oven-safe nonstick pan on medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally. After about 5 to 7 minutes, when sausage is golden brown in color and almost cooked through, add bell pepper and mushrooms. Continue to sauté until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat as low as possible (or remove from stove if using a gas range). In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with mustard, garlic powder, salt and black pepper using a whisk or handheld mixer. (Note: Don't overdo it and make a meringue; simply incorporate flavors with eggs and lighten them up a bit.)
- Distribute bread evenly over sausage-mushroom mixture, if desired. Then pour egg white mixture evenly over top. Increase heat to medium-low or medium (return pan to heat, if removed). Sprinkle cheese over top. Once egg whites start to set and turn opaque, transfer pan to oven.
- Bake until cheese browns and bubbles, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to slice and serve.
- Serving Size: Half of frittata
- Calories: 232
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 43 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 556 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g