Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
If it’s cold, rainy or snowy outside, you can bet I’m going to be whipping up some chili.
This chipotle bison chili has just enough of a kick to clear out my sinuses, but is also so hearty and protein-packed. Bison meat has higher amounts of micronutrients compared to beef, with more vitamin B12, zinc, iron and omega-3 fatty acids. In terms of taste, bison tends to have a delicate flavor profile and some say it’s a bit sweeter than other meat.
FYI – if chipotle chiles are a little too hot for your palate, try substituting them with 1/2 Tbsp. of smoked paprika. This will still give your chili that smoky flavor you want but with a much milder spice.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat avocado oil.
- Add 1 yellow onion, chopped, and cubed butternut squash; cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ground bison; cook 5 minutes, breaking up bison with a spoon.
- Add ½ of a canned chipotle chile and adobo sauce, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, ground cumin, chile powder and smoked paprika, black pepper and salt; heat on low for 45 minutes.
- Stir in 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained; cook 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice.