The Hipster with Mushrooms, Truffle Oil and Gruyère
Gruyère, a hard cheese, melts perfectly when placed under the broiler. Topped with browned Japanese mushrooms, this savory toast is fit for any time of day.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love Gruyère? Try our recipe for Butternut Squash Soufflés with Leeks & Gruyére
- 2 slices seeded whole-grain peasant bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup mixed Japanese mushrooms, such as shiitake and oyster
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp all-natural truffle oil
- 1/2 tsp chopped chives
- Preheat a grill to medium. Grill bread until grill marks appear and bread is lightly toasted, 2 minutes per side (or use a toaster).
- Cut a thin slice off end of garlic clove and, with the cut side of garlic, rub 1 side of bread.
- Place cheese on toast; place under a broiler until melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook undisturbed for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on underside. Season with salt and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Top toasts with sautéed mushrooms. Drizzle with truffle oil and top with chives.
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate Content 21.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 398 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g