If you’re in the mood for a light, plant-based, handheld delight, look no further. These low-carb, high-protein crispy tofu lettuce cups smothered in a sesame almond butter sauce will hit the spot with their winning combination of ingredients that deliver crisp, crunch and bright, balancing herbs. Make extra, you’ll be very glad you did.
Sesame Almond-Smothered Tofu Cups
- Place all sauce ingredients in a jar. Seal and shake until smooth. Set aside.
- Drain tofu and cut lengthwise into 8 planks. Place each plank between layers of paper towels and press to absorb as much water as possible. Stack planks and slice lengthwise into 4 slices, then slice crosswise into bite-size cubes.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat one-half of olive oil. Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in water chestnuts and green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining olive oil on medium-high. Add tofu. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden on the bottom. Flip and continue to cook, turning, until most of the sides are lightly golden, 6 minutes. Add half of the sauce and stir to coat.
- Place lettuce leaves on a plate. Top each lettuce leaf with vegetables and tofu. Drizzle with additional sauce. Garnish with cilantro and chives.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, make sauce ahead. Cook one-half of veg-tofu mixture for the first 2 servings of the week. Store one-half of the veg-tofu mixture (uncooked) in the refrigerator along with sauce; cook and assemble when called for.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 373
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 509 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g