Toasted Ravioli with Marinara Dipping Sauce
Crisp, golden toasted ravioli with rich marinara sauce is now your perfect skinny snack (we save you 14 grams of fat!).
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love ravioli? Try our Pea Ravioli in Lemon Broth recipe
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp plus 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup fine whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 oz)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Dash ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 9-oz pkg bite-size whole-wheat cheese ravioli
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Pinch dried oregano
- Pinch dried thyme
- 14 oz jarred or boxed unsalted crushed tomatoes (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/8 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- Prepare sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes and pinch each dried oregano and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1/8 tsp each salt and black pepper. Cover, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and flavors combine, about 30 minutes. Add vinegar and fresh oregano and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until slightly cooled.
- With an immersion blender, purée sauce until smooth. (Alternatively, carefully transfer sauce to a blender. Remove plastic stopper from lid and cover loosely with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape; purée.) Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with oregano sprigs. Cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. In a shallow bowl, combine egg whites and 1/8 tsp each salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp thyme and cayenne.
- Dip 1 ravioli into egg mixture, turning to coat. Dip into bread crumb mixture, turning to coat and shaking off excess; transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ravioli, adding to sheet in a single layer. Bake, turning once, until lightly browned, 12 to 16 minutes. Divide among serving plates and serve with sauce.
- Serving Size 4 toasted ravioli and 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 135
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 363 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g