Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total time: 12 minutes
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 packed cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 4 whole-grain corn tortillas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 oz Mexican cheese blend mozzarella, shredded (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine beans, pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Gently fold in avocado and set aside.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle cumin evenly over top. Then sprinkle with cheese, dividing evenly. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium nonstick skillet on medium. Lightly coat skillet with cooking spray, pour in egg whites and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until white. Gently stir and remove from heat.
- Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates and spoon egg on top of each, dividing evenly. Then add about 1/2 cup bean mixture and top with sour cream, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 tortilla, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup bean mixture, 1 tbsp sour cream): Calories: 276, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 3.5 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 423 mg, Cholesterol: 16 mg
Not having leftover cooked beans on hand doesn't mean that you'll have to start from scratch. Save time by opting for BPA-free canned black beans instead.