Nutritional Bonus: The addition of cabbage makes this soup an excellent source of vitamin K, which USDA researchers believe may activate proteins in the body that build and maintain healthy bones.
- 3 no-salt-added corn tortillas
- 1 2/3 tbsp olive or safflower oil, divided
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 6 oz fresh spicy poultry sausage, such as chicken or turkey habanero
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp ground dried chile, such as ancho
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 14-oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- LIME CREMA
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To make tortilla strips, brush tortillas on 1 side with 2 tsp oil, then stack tortillas and cut into very thin strips, about 2 inches long (if using leftover tortillas, stack those pieces and cut into thin strips, then toss with oil). Spread tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or small soup pot, saute onion in 1 tbsp oil over medium-high until it starts to soften. Slit sausage casings and crumble meat into pan, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in oregano, chile and cumin; then add tomatoes and their liquid, broth and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let soup stand while you prepare crema.
- To make lime crema, put yogurt in a small bowl and squeeze in lime juice; then stir in cilantro.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls and drizzle each with some lime crema. Serve tortilla strips, radishes and cabbage alongside to add to each bowlful, as desired.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup tortilla soup and 2 tsp lime crema
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 105 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g