Triple Green Soup with Cannellini Beans & Spiced Pepitas
We’ve packed this soup with a triple-punch of greens – kale, Swiss chard and spinach. These greens contain antioxidants that help fight against oxidative stress and may help in the prevention of cancer. We’ve also added a finishing touch of pepitas (also known as pumpkin seeds), toasted with aromatic turmeric and ginger.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups jarred, boxed or BPA-free-canned unsalted chopped tomatoes
- 4 oz Lacinato kale (aka Tuscan or dinosaur kale), stems and ribs discarded, chopped (about 2 packed cups)
- 4 oz Swiss chard, stems and ribs discarded, chopped (about 2 packed cups)
- 3 oz spinach leaves (about 3 packed cups)
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsalted pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp each ground turmeric and ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- In a large saucepan on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes (if using). Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, 1 cup water and tomatoes. Cover, then increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Add kale and simmer, covered, 3 minutes. Add chard and continue simmering, covered, until greens are tender, 3 minutes more. Add spinach and beans; cover and simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Add pepitas, turmeric and ginger. Toss well to combine and cook until spices are fragrant and pepitas are toasted, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes. Divide soup among 4 bowls and top with pepitas and basil. Drizzle 1 tsp of remaining oil over each bowl.
- Serving Size 2 cups soup and 1 tbsp pepitas
- Calories 282
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 244 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g