You may have heard that tuna contains more mercury than some of its aquatic brethren (about 10.7 micrograms per three ounces of tuna, according to the FDA); however, you don’t have to avoid this versatile grocery staple altogether. To ensure you’re consuming a safe quantity, follow the guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Multiply your body weight in pounds by 0.045 to find out the maximum safe dose of mercury in micrograms.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise (TRY: Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil)
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 green onions, sliced, white/light green and dark green parts separated
- 1 12-oz pkg frozen cauliflower rice
- ¾ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- ½ English cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 2 6.7-oz jars tuna fillets packed in olive oil, drained (TRY: Tonnino Ventresca Tuna in Olive Oil)
- 1 small mango, peeled, pitted, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds (TRY: Simply Organic Black Sesame Seeds)
1. In a small cup, whisk together mayonnaise and sriracha.
2. In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add white/light green parts of onions; sauté 1 minute. Add cauliflower rice, season with two-thirds of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vinegar; cook, stirring, until it evaporates, about 1 minute. Divide rice among bowls.
3. Divide avocado, cucumber, tuna and mango among bowls over rice. Drizzle with sriracha mayo. Season with remaining one-third of salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and dark green parts of onions
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 402
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 61 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 838 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 43.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 7 g