Health Benefit: Studies show that a group of antioxidant plant pigments in red cabbage, called anthocyanins, may help protect against heart disease and cancer.
Wasabi Dressing recipe by Dina Cheney
½ cup finely chopped unsalted raw cashews
1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari, + additional to taste
1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
3–5 tsp sambal oelek + additional to taste
2 5-oz BPA-free cans water-packed tuna, drained
3 cups cooked brown rice
8 large toasted nori sheets
2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded spinach
4 cups coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
4 large green onions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp high-oleic safflower oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
2 tsp white miso paste
2 tsp raw honey
1/4 tsp pure wasabi powder
1. In a small skillet, toast cashews for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly. Add tamari and stir. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and sambal oelek. Add tuna and rice to bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Place a sheet of parchment on a flat surface. Lay 2 sheets of nori on the parchment, overlapping them to make a 10-inch piece of nori.
4. Moisten hands with water and spread about one-quarter of rice-tuna mixture over nori in a thin, even layer; leave a 2-inch border around the edges of the nori. Arrange one-quarter of cabbage, spinach, cilantro, onions and cashews.
5. To roll, fold the bottom edge up over the filling and fold the 2 sides in then roll up like a burrito. Dampen your fingers with water and run over the final edge to seal. Wrap in parchment and repeat with remaining ingredients.
6. Prepare Wasabi Dressing: In a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid, whisk or shake together all dressing ingredients and 2 tbsp water.
7. Serve burrito whole, or cut in half on the diagonal through the parchment, with Wasabi Dressing and additional sambal oelek and tamari on the side, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 597
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Cholesterol Content: 29 mg
- Fat Content: 29 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 787 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 9.5 g