- Prep Time
- 4½ tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each ground coriander, garlic powder and paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 1½ cups cooked black or pinto beans
- 8 6-inch soft corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 small clove garlic
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 4 tsp olive oil
1. Prepare salsa: On a cutting board, mound jalapeño, cilantro, green onions, oregano, garlic and pinch salt; finely chop mixture. (Alternatively, pulse in a food processor until finely chopped.) Transfer to a small bowl; stir in lime juice and 4 tsp oil. Set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add yellow onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together cumin, coriander, garlic powder, paprika and ½ tsp salt. Add turkey and toss to coat. In same skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 1½ tsp oil. Add turkey and sauté until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes. Stir in onion mixture and beans; heat through.
4. Divide turkey-bean mixture among tortillas. Top with salsa, dividing evenly.
Black beans for the win: Fiber-rich black beans may aid in lowering your risk of certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, according to studies. The seed coat of black beans contains a class of flavonoids called anthocyanins, which are phytonutrient pigments that act as antioxidants in the body to help prevent chronic diseases.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 456
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 65 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 595 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g