Turkey & Black Bean Tacos with Green Herb Salsa
Don’t get too fussy with this salsa – think of it as a Mexican-style pesto you can switch up according to your taste preference.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Use less jalapeño for a milder salsa, or use parsley or basil if you don’t like cilantro. For a lower-carb version of the recipe, swap out the tortillas for lettuce and serve as a hearty salad. Add any toppings you like such as shredded cheese, sour cream or sliced radish or avocado.
Black Beans For the Win
Fiber-rich black beans may aid in lowering your risk of certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, according to studies. The seed coat of black beans contains a class of flavonoids called anthocyanins, which are phytonutrient pigments that act as antioxidants in the body to help prevent chronic diseases.
- 4½ tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each ground coriander, garlic powder and paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 1½ cups cooked black or pinto beans
- 8 6-inch soft corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 small clove garlic
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 4 tsp olive oil
1. Prepare salsa: On a cutting board, mound jalapeño, cilantro, green onions, oregano, garlic and pinch salt; finely chop mixture. (Alternatively, pulse in a food processor until finely chopped.) Transfer to a small bowl; stir in lime juice and 4 tsp oil. Set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add yellow onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together cumin, coriander, garlic powder, paprika and ½ tsp salt. Add turkey and toss to coat. In same skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 1½ tsp oil. Add turkey and sauté until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes. Stir in onion mixture and beans; heat through.
4. Divide turkey-bean mixture among tortillas. Top with salsa, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 456
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 595 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g