Making your own sauce from simple pantry ingredients, such as jarred peppers, canned tomatoes and dried herbs, is a great money-saving trick. Customize it to your taste by playing around with different herbs and spices.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 15½-oz jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 14½-oz BPA-free can or jar unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and rosemary, divided
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, plus additional, to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz whole-grain penne
- 1 cup frozen petite or baby peas, thawed
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 3/4 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a food processor, purée bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp each thyme and rosemary until smooth. Set aside.
- Mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add turkey, black pepper, salt and remaining ¼ tsp each thyme and rosemary and cook, breaking up turkey with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Stir bell pepper mixture and peas into pasta and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in turkey mixture and arugula. Divide among plates. Top with ricotta and lemon zest, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with additional black pepper.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 517
- Carbohydrate Content: 58 g
- Cholesterol Content: 108 mg
- Fat Content: 16.5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6.5 g
- Sodium Content: 469 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3.5 g