Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a medium pot, bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spay and heat on medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Return sausage to pan and stir in marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes, until thickened slightly. Add pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to boiling water, whisk in cornmeal in a slow, thin stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until incorporated. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir polenta for 5 to 8 minutes, until thick. (NOTE: Take extra caution as polenta can splatter. If desired, use an oven mitt while stirring.) If a thinner consistency is desired, adjust by adding additional hot water, 1/4 cup at a time, to reach desired consistency. Season with additional salt and pepper. Divide polenta among serving plates and top evenly with sausage mixture. Top with basil.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 326
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 474 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g