Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 small dried chipotle peppers
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 lb extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1½ lb fresh tomatillos, husk discarded and skin rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cups cooked or BPA-free-canned cannellini beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, or 1 cup sour cream, for garnish, optional
- Soak chipotle peppers in 1/2 cup boiling water until softened, about 15 minutes. Cut chipotle peppers in half and remove and discard seeds and stems. Reserve soaking liquid, roughly chop chipotle peppers and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add turkey and onion and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all meat is broken into small pieces and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain and discard fat and transfer turkey mixture to slow cooker.
- Blend garlic, chopped chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup reserved soaking water in a blender until finely chopped. Add tomatillos and remaining soaking water and blend until smooth. Pour into slow cooker, add bay leaf and cumin and stir until thoroughly combined. Cover slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, place cilantro and 1/2 cup cold water in blender and purée until finely chopped. Stir into chili mixture. Add beans and corn, cover slow cooker and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve chili garnished with grated cheese or sour cream (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 35 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g