Turkey Zucchini Burger with Tahini Sauce, Salsa & Feta
Zucchini is the secret to these extra-moist, Mediterranean-inspired burgers. Serve with lemon wedges alongside.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup packed grated zucchini, squeezed very dry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil), as needed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 6-inch whole-grain pitas, halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, zucchini, 2 tbsp cilantro, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic, green onions, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Form into 8 1/2-inch-thick patties, then transfer to a large, parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare tahini sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, tahini, 1 tbsp lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 clove garlic until smooth, adding up to 3 tbsp water to reach desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare salsa: In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mint, remaining 2 tbsp cilantro, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp pepper. Season with additional salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with cooking oil. (NOTE: A nonstick grill pan will work here too.) Mist patties with cooking spray and grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown, no pink remains inside and an instant-read thermometer registers 165˚F when inserted in center.
- Divide tahini sauce between pita halves. Place 2 patties into each pocket and divide salsa among burgers. Top with feta (if using).
- Serving Size 1/2 pita with 2 patties and toppings
- Calories 330
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g