Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
CRUCIFEROUS CANCER COMBATANT: Kale contains a powerful compound called glucosinolate. This sulfur- containing chemical, which is also responsible for the strong and bitter flavor typically associated with these foods, works to inhibit cancer, protects cells from damage and has antibacterial properties.
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush pears with 2 tsp maple syrup and place cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cashews, remaining 2 tsp maple syrup and ⅛ tsp salt, stirring until well coated.
- Add cashews to baking sheet alongside pears; roast for 10 more minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice pear and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, chicken and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, pepper and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Pour dressing over kale mixture and toss to coat. Top salad with pears and cashews.
- Serving Size 1/6 of salad
- Calories 341
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 381 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g