Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
CRUCIFEROUS CANCER COMBATANT: Kale contains a powerful compound called glucosinolate. This sulfur- containing chemical, which is also responsible for the strong and bitter flavor typically associated with these foods, works to inhibit cancer, protects cells from damage and has antibacterial properties.
Tuscan Kale and Roasted Pear Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush pears with 2 tsp maple syrup and place cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cashews, remaining 2 tsp maple syrup and ⅛ tsp salt, stirring until well coated.
- Add cashews to baking sheet alongside pears; roast for 10 more minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice pear and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, chicken and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, pepper and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Pour dressing over kale mixture and toss to coat. Top salad with pears and cashews.
- Serving Size 1/6 of salad
- Calories 341
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 381 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g