Tuscan White Bean Soup with Italian Sausage
Quick and soothing, our healthy zuppa Toscana (Italian for Tuscan soup) is a light and refreshingly simple blend of creamy white beans, classic herbs and savory sausage. Serve with whole-grain bread on the side.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can white kidney (aka cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 all-natural Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
- In a medium saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add carrot, celery and onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, fennel and pepper flakes and sauté for 1 to 2 more minutes. Add broth and 1 cup water. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in beans, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add sausages and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove soup from heat and carefully transfer 1 cup soup to a blender. Remove plastic stopper from blender lid and hold a kitchen towel over lid to allow steam to escape. Blend until smooth, then return to saucepan. Heat saucepan on medium and bring to a simmer.
- To saucepan, add spinach and reduce heat to low. Simmer until leaves are wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in sausage and remove from heat.
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cups white bean soup
- Calories 367
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 12.5 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 539 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g