Two Potato Rösti Waffle
Skin-on Russets and sweet potatoes make up these cheesy röstis, or Swiss-style hash browns. We use both yellow and green onions here, but if you’re looking to simplify, you can use just the yellow onion. Customize this dish with toppings of your choice.
- 2 Russet potatoes, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- ½ sweet potato, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp whole-grain spelt flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup coarsely grated aged cheddar cheese
- Heat a waffle iron to medium. Preheat oven to 250°F. Place an oven-safe rack over a large baking sheet.
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients except cheese; mix until combined. Fold in cheese.
- Mist waffle iron with cooking spray. Spread a generous ½ cup of potato mixture onto waffle plate (or according to capacity of your waffle maker). Cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. (TIP: Reduce heat if waffles brown too quickly.)
- Transfer to prepared rack; place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, making about 8 waffles total.
Note: Serve these waffles plain or use them as a base for your favorite topping combination. Try smoked salmon, capers, red onion and a dollop of sour cream; poached eggs, sautéed mushrooms and steamed broccolini; or, for a fruity option, omit the onion in the batter and top with yogurt and berries.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 204
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 69 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 416 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g