Tomatillos: The Other Tomato
Vibrant green with a thin, papery wrapping known as the husk, tomatillos have a slightly acidic and vegetal flavor compared to the more commonly available red type. Remove the husk and rinse the fruit before eating as there is a slight stickiness to the outer fruit. Unique to this varietal is the phytochemical Ixocarpalactone-A, which is both antibacterial and cancer preventive.
Check out more Baja-Mediterranean recipes here.
- 3 green onions, trimmed
- 3 large tomatillos, cut cross-wise
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ¾ tsp sea salt, divided
- ¾ tsp black pepper, divided
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 12 oz fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (or quartered, if large)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ½-inch-thick wedges
- 8 oz thin asparagus, trimmed
1. Preheat grill to medium. In a large bowl, combine green onions, tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic, 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Toss to coat. In a grill basket, grill vegetables for 5 to 6 minutes, turning halfway. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Peel garlic.
2. Make salsa verde: To a food processor, add grilled vegetables, cilantro, 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Pulse to finely chop, scraping sides of bowl halfway. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Grill potatoes and asparagus: In a large bowl, toss fingerlings, sweet potatoes, asparagus, remaining 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. With grill still on medium heat, grill, covered, until marked and tender, turning halfway, about 6 minutes for asparagus and 12 minutes for potatoes. Transfer asparagus to a cutting board; add potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
4. Slice asparagus into 1-inch pieces. To bowl with potatoes, add salsa verde and grilled asparagus. Toss to coat.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 381 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g