Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine peppers, mushrooms, eggplant and onion in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp oil, vinegar, 1 tbsp water, salt and black pepper. Pour oil-vinegar mixture over vegetables and toss to combine. Cover baking dish loosely with foil or a glass lid and transfer to oven. Roast vegetables for 30 to 45 minutes, until they are tender.
- While vegetables roast, prepare veal and sauce: Put flour in a shallow baking dish and dredge each piece of veal in it, shaking off excess.
- Brush the bottom of a large saute pan over medium-high heat with remaining 2 tsp oil. When pan is hot, add veal and cook each side for 2 minutes. You may have to cook veal in batches to avoid crowding the pan: Transfer first cooked batch to a plate and add a little water to the hot pan to deglaze it, scraping bits up from the bottom as water sizzles. Pour the liquid on top of the cooked veal and start again with the next batch. Divide oil accordingly for batch cooking.
- Once all veal is cooked and removed from pan, pour juice from canned tomatoes into pan and scrape bits from the bottom as the juice sizzles. Add garlic and saute until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour tomatoes into pan and crush them with a fork or potato masher. Stir in 1/4 cup water and herbs. Return veal to pan, tucking it in to the sauce. Cover pan and lower heat to simmer the sauce until vegetables are done.
- Slice rolls in half. Put a piece of veal on bottom half of each roll and top with a pile of roasted vegetables. Spoon sauce on vegetables, sprinkle cheese, top with other half of roll and serve. If desired, return sandwiches to the hot oven for 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 470
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 120 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 560 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g