- Prep Time
- 1 8-oz pkg organic tempeh, cut into 24 very thin slices
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- 1 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
- 6 whole-grain wraps, warmed
- Olive oil mayonnaise, as needed
1. Arrange tempeh slices in 2 13 x 9-inch baking dishes. In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water, tamari, vinegar, coconut sugar, cumin and chile to a boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in liquid smoke (if using). Pour over tempeh. Let cool then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Carefully transfer tempeh to prepared sheets; discard marinade.
3. Brush slices with half of oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Flip tempeh slices, brush with remaining half of oil and bake for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until crisp and dark brown.
4. On each wrap, spread mayonnaise. Add tempeh and desired toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap with 4 slices
- Calories: 296
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 299 mg
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 7 g