- Position oven rack 6 to 8 inches away from heat and preheat broiler to high. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. With bell peppers standing upright, cut straight down, removing the edible sides of pepper from the stem and inner seeds. Discard seeds and stems. Place pepper pieces on baking sheet skin side down and broil for 5 minutes. Turn and broil until skin is mostly black and flesh is very tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. When cool enough to handle, discard skin and roughly chop peppers. Add to a food processor or blender, then add tomatoes, paprika, chile powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Process until smooth. (Tip: May be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container.)
- Set oven to 400°F. Fill a large saucepan about two-thirds full with water and bring to a boil. To saucepan, add potatoes and boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. To skillet, add onion and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatillos and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and juicy, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Spread about 3/4 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place 1 tortilla on a work surface. Fill with 1/4 cup each of potatoes and tomatillos, about 3 tbsp beans, about 1½ tbsp sauce, 2 tsp cilantro and 1 heaping tbsp cheese. (TIP: Place fillings in a vertical line down the middle, but slightly off-center, making it easier to roll up.) Roll up the tortilla and place in baking dish seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spread 1 3/4 cup of sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. (NOTE: You may have some potatoes and sauce left over.)
- Cover with foil and bake in the center of the oven until sauce is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1 enchilada
- Calories 400
- Carbohydrate Content 56.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 13.5 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 544 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3.5 g