- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Broth & Noodles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly chopped
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 pods star anise
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 6 baby bok choy, sliced (4 cups)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 7 oz. brown rice vermicelli, cooked according to package
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup chopped Thai basil leaves (or regular basil)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 red Thai chili peppers
- 1 lime, quartered
- hoisin or sriracha sauce, as needed
1. Prepare broth: In a stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add yellow onion and sweat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and five-spice, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add broth, tamari, hoisin, star anise and cinnamon; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes, skimming off foam as it simmers.
3. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined mesh sieve and return to stockpot. Add bok choy and mushrooms and return to a boil.
4. Into 4 bowls, divide noodles. Divide hot broth with mushrooms and bok choy over the noodles.
5. Garnish with bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, green onions and chile. Serve with lime wedges and hoisin on the side (if using).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 293
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 921 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g