Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Prepare dough: In a large bowl, whisk flour, cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. In a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp oil and vinegar with 1/3 cup cold water; add to dry ingredients. Mix just until dough holds together, adding 1 tbsp cold water at a time, if necessary, up to 3 tbsp, until it forms a ragged dough. Press into a disk then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: mist a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes, carrots and cauliflower until tender, about 8 minutes; drain.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add fennel, mustard and fenugreek
- seeds, and cook just until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, tempeh, ginger, coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper and cook until onion is softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in potato mixture, tomatoes, peas and broth; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in 1 tbsp lemon juice. Transfer to prepared pie plate, spreading evenly; set aside.
- Prepare chutney: In a food processor, blend almonds, jalapeño, scallion and 4 tsp lemon juice. Add cilantro; blend, stopping to scrape sides once or twice, until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush edge of pie pan with 1/2 tbsp milk.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to an 11-inch circle. Place on top of filling; trim edges to leave 1-inch overhang. Fold under and flute, pressing edges lightly to adhere to pan. Brush remaining 1/2 tbsp milk over pastry; with a thin knife, cut steam vents in top.
- Bake until crusty is golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with chutney.
- Serving Size 1/8 of samosa pie and 2 tbsp chutney
- Calories 324
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 181 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g