Video: Cooking with Onions
Try not to cry! Watch as Chef Jo explains the different kinds of onions you find in the supermarket and how best to use them.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted unsalted Brazil nuts or hazelnuts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large Spanish or white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt; cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add bell pepper, zucchini and pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- Prepare Caramelized Onions: Wipe out skillet and return to stove top on medium high; add 2 tsp oil. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1/4 cup water, vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark golden and liquid has mostly evaporated, 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside and cover to keep warm (or reheat when ready to serve).
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mist bottom and sides of a 9-inch cast iron (or heavy duty oven-proof) skillet with cooking spray. Stir zucchini mixture into batter; pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until socca is firm in center, 16 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts and serve with caramelized onions.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of pancake with toppings
- Calories: 274
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 250 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g