Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Video: Cooking with Onions
Try not to cry! Watch as Chef Jo explains the different kinds of onions you find in the supermarket and how best to use them.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt; cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add bell pepper, zucchini and pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- Prepare Caramelized Onions: Wipe out skillet and return to stove top on medium high; add 2 tsp oil. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1/4 cup water, vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark golden and liquid has mostly evaporated, 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside and cover to keep warm (or reheat when ready to serve).
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mist bottom and sides of a 9-inch cast iron (or heavy duty oven-proof) skillet with cooking spray. Stir zucchini mixture into batter; pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until socca is firm in center, 16 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts and serve with caramelized onions.
- Serving Size 1/4 of pancake with toppings
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 250 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g