Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
MAKE IT FAST
1. Chop one-half of onion, and then cut remaining one-half of onion into slices. Place sliced onion in a bowl of cold water, refrigerate and reserve for garnish.
2. On the Instant Pot, select Sauté, adjust the heat to More/High and add oil. Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, 3 minutes. Press Cancel.
3. To pot, add water, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Add steaks and push down to submerge in liquid. Set release valve to seal, select Pressure and set to More/High; adjust time to 25 minutes.
4. Let pressure come down naturally for 15 minutes (don’t move the vent) and then quick-release any remaining pressure. Transfer meat to a cutting board and cut or shred into bite-size chunks, discarding any fat or connective tissue. Remove and discard ginger, lemongrass, star anise and cinnamon stick. Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve.
5. Add noodles and snow peas to pot, select Sauté and adjust heat to More/High. Cover with a regular pot lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles and snow peas are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Return meat to pot; stir in fish sauce.
6. Drain sliced onions and pat dry. Divide soup among bowls and top with sliced onions and remaining garnishes.
MAKE IT SLOW
1. Follow Step 1 of “Make It Fast” instructions.
2. Using the sauté function in a 4½- to 7-quart slow cooker, heat oil. Sauté chopped onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick, stirring occasionally, until onions are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. (If your slow cooker doesn’t have a sauté function, use a skillet on medium-high; then add ingredients to slow cooker.)
3. To slow cooker, add water, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Add steaks and push down to submerge in liquid. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Carefully remove lid. Transfer meat to a cutting board and cut or shred into bite-size chunks. Strain liquid, return to pot. Add noodles and snow peas and adjust to High; cover and cook until noodles and snow peas are tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Return beef to slow cooker and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with reserved sliced onions and remaining garnishes.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 432
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 83 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 451 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g