Nutritional Bonus: Munch on our wakame, rice and tofu salad for a boost to your body's magnesium supply, a mineral that is getting a lot of attention for its possible benefits to manage hypertension .
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup wakame, soaked in cold water 5 minutes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 oz medium firmness tofu, cut into bite-size cubes
- Cook rice according to package directions; add carrot during last 5 minutes of cooking and mix.
- Meanwhile, soak mushrooms in a bowl with enough warm water to cover and let stand 20 minutes; drain and chop.
- Transfer rice and carrots to a large mixing bowl. Add mushrooms, wakame and pepper and combine well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ginger and oil; pour over rice mixture and toss to combine. Carefully stir in tofu. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours for best flavor; can be kept in fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cup wakame salad
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 400 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g