Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Walnuts contain the highest amount of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) of any nut, the plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. In addition to the remarkable things omega-3s do for your heart, such as help lower triglycerides and reduce plaque formation in blood vessels, this essential fatty acid also supports your think tank. Omega-3s help facilitate the movement of feel-good neurotransmitters (dopamine and serotonin) in and out of cells, while also supporting memory and problem-solving.
- Roast bell pepper: Over a grill on medium-high or a medium gas flame, roast bell pepper for about 10 minutes, turning every few minutes until all sides are charred and pepper is soft. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool. When bell pepper is cool enough to handle, rub charred skins off and remove seeds. Coarsely chop.
- Prepare dip: To a small food processor, add bell pepper along with remaining dip ingredients. Process for 15 to 30 seconds to form a chunky sauce. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray.
- In a small food processor, combine panko, walnuts, rosemary, black pepper and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Pulse until walnuts are finely ground. Pour mixture into a medium, rimmed baking dish. Onto a large plate, pour arrowroot. In a small bowl, add egg.
- Working a few shrimp at a time, dredge shrimp in arrowroot and shake off excess, then dip in egg and then in walnut mixture, turning to coat. Place on wire rack and repeat with remaining shrimp. Mist shrimp with cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until shrimp is just beginning to turn opaque. Turn shrimp and switch to broiler setting on high; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until tops are lightly browned and shrimp is opaque throughout. Serve with dip.
- Serving Size 4 to 5 shrimp and 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 278
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 230 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2.5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 412 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g