POPEYE’S SECRET: This dip contains spinach, one of the top sources of energy-boosting iron. Iron is the central core of the hemoglobin molecule, a protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen around the body. Because it’s a plant-based source of iron, also known as non-heme iron, it’s best to combine it with a source of vitamin C for better absorption. Here, we combine it with vitamin C–rich lemon juice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large shallot, minced
¼ tsp sea salt, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced
5 oz baby spinach
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 14-oz BPA-free cans hearts of palm, drained
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp raw honey
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 10-oz jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Mist an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add shallot and ⅛ tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant and shallots begin to caramelize, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
3. In same skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add spinach, pepper and remaining ⅛ tsp salt; cook, stirring until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve, pressing down to remove liquid. Using shears, roughly chop spinach.
4. To mixture in food processor, add hearts of palm, remaining 4 tbsp oil, lemon juice, honey and ¾ cup cheese. Process until well combined (mixture won’t be completely smooth). Add spinach and artichokes; pulse to combine. Transfer to baking dish; sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
5. Bake until edges are golden and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve with vegetables or grain-free tortilla chips. Cover leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 603 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g