Avoiding Gluten or Grains?
Swap the whole-grain bread for CE’s Ultimate Grain-Free Sandwich Bread on cleaneating.com. Made with egg whites, it will also boost the protein content of your breakfast even further.
- Prep Time
2 cups BPA-free canned unsalted great northern or other white beans, drained and rinsed
1 small roasted red pepper, drained 1 tbsp olive oil + additional for drizzling (NOTE: We love using an olive oil blend with added omegas such as Carlson Olive Your Heart, Natural.)
1 clove garlic, optional
¼ tsp sea salt
Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
4 slices whole-grain bread
2 small avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
Optional toppings: baby spinach, olives, sprouts, tomatoes, radishes, micorgreens, pomegranate seeds, fried egg, edamame, onion, herbs or hot sauce
1. In a food processor, combine beans, red pepper, oil, garlic (if using), salt and pepper flakes. Process until smooth and creamy. (MAKE AHEAD: Mixture can be made the night before; cover and refrigerate.)
2. Just before serving, toast bread slices. Spread bean mixture on toast. Top with avocado and optional toppings. Drizzle with additional oil.
- Serving Size: 1 toast with bean spread and avocado
- Calories: 405
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 316 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g