Extra kale? Get recipe ideas here: Leftover Love: Kale.
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- 4 green onions, chopped, light and dark green parts divided
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Great Northern Beans)
- In a Dutch oven on medium-high, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add turkey, chile powder, cumin, oregano and salt and cook, breaking up turkey with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer turkey mixture to a plate and set aside.
- In same Dutch oven still on medium-high, heat remaining 1½ tsp oil. Add yellow onion, kale, light parts of green onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in turkey mixture, broth and beans. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and sprinkle with dark green parts of green onion.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of chili
- Calories: 328
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 84 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 6.5 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 451 mg
- Sugar Content: 3.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3.5 g