Fresh Whole-Grain Pasta
Make It From Scratch: Use a store-bought pasta in any of our recipes, or if you’re feeling adventurous, try one of our two fresh pasta recipes – we have a whole-grain and a gluten-free option.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3/4 white whole-wheat flour and additional for dusting
- 3/4 cup whole spelt flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. To a food processor, add flours, eggs and oil. Pulse until dough starts to form a ball, 20 to 25 pulses (about 45 seconds). Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface and knead until no longer sticky, 15 to 20 kneads (about 45 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Dust 2 large baking sheets with white whole-wheat flour. Lay two large sheets of parchment paper over a table or countertop (about 3 to 4 feet long each).
3. Divide dough into quarters. Work with one ball at a time, keeping others wrapped in plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 ball of dough on a lightly floured work surface. Using a pasta maker set to the widest setting, pass dough through once, then fold over into thirds. Pass the dough through the machine a second time. Reduce the setting by one level and pass the dough through again. Repeat 2 more times, reducing the setting after each pass. (The dough will elongate with each pass, so this is a great time to enlist a helper.) Lay pasta sheet on the parchment. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Pass pasta sheets through the larger noodle-cutting side of the pasta machine to cut into noodles. Nest each batch of noodles on prepared sheets or racks.
5. Drop pasta into boiling water, stirring gently, and cook until pasta is al dente, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 263
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 140 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 113 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g