Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Heat a 9- to 10-inch cast iron skillet on medium. Add jalapeños and roast, turning often, until skin is charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425ºF; place skillet in oven as it heats. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and honey. Place peppers on a cutting board; slip off charred skins. Trim ends, halve and remove seeds. Mince peppers.
3. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture; stir until almost combined, then stir in all but 1 tbsp butter. Fold in peppers and corn. Pour reserved 1 tbsp butter into hot skillet; quickly swirl to coat skillet. Immediately pour in batter. Bake until golden, set and a toothpick inserted into center of cornbread comes out clean, 14 to 18 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1/16 of recipe
- Calories 138
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 262 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g