Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a medium saucepan on high, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium, heat oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add thyme and pepper.
- Stir in bread, then add broth and gently stir to evenly moisten.
- Remove about 1/3 of bread mixture and transfer to a medium bowl. Set both bowls aside.
- Mist a 2- to 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Drain rice.
- Stir rice into larger bowl and bread mixture, then transfer to the prepared baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Top with reserved 1/3 cup bread mixture, spreading evenly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned on tip, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 cup whole-wheat dressing
- Calories 193
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 440 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g