Whole-Wheat Hummingbird Muffins
Toasted pecans offer some crunch to these muffins, and they're sweetened with pineapple and mashed banana.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1¾ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup drained canned pineapple chunks, divided
- ¾ cup roughly chopped toasted pecans, divided
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease a 12-count muffin tray. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; whisk to mix well. In a large bowl, whisk oil, maple syrup and eggs until well mixed. Whisk in bananas. Add flour mixture and fold together until nearly combined.
2. Roughly chop two-thirds of the pineapple and fold in. Fold in two-thirds of the pecans, stirring until all flour is incorporated (do not over-mix).
3. Divide batter among muffin cups. Top with remaining pineapple chunks and pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep leftovers covered at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 199 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g