We independently source all of the products that we feature on Clean Eating. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
You might be skeptical at the thought of rice made from beets (we certainly were), but trust us, it works beautifully.
Swap the Beet Rice For:
- Plantain rice
- Yellow squash rice
- Prep Time
- 5 tbsp avocado oil, divided 2 cloves garlic, minced 6 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 3 tbsp fresh lime juice 1 tbsp coconut aminos (TRY: Big Tree Farms Coco Aminos) 1 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
1½ lb golden beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tbsp avocado oil
½ small yellow onion, minced
½ tsp each ground cumin and chile powder
½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken (NOTE: Check to ensure chicken is made with compliant ingredients.)
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
½ cup all-natural salsa
1. Make dressing: To a small skillet on low, add 1 tbsp oil and garlic. Let sizzle for 30 seconds then transfer to a small food processor. Add 4 tbsp oil, cilantro, lime juice, coconut aminos, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; process to combine. Set aside.
2. Make bowls: Place beets in a food processor; pulse until small, rice-size pieces form. (Alternatively, make the beets into spirals then pulse in the food processor.) Transfer to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
3. In a medium skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just becoming tender, about 3 minutes. Add beet rice, cumin, chile powder, salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp water and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and water has evaporated, about 2 minutes more. Divide among bowls.
4. Top rice in each bowl with chicken, lettuce, avocado and salsa. Drizzle each with 1 to 2 tbsp dressing. Serve extra dressing alongside.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 521
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 56 mg
- Fat Content: 46 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 831 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 28 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 7 g