Recipes excerpted from The Whole30 Friends & Family © 2019 by Melissa Hartwig Urban. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Marinade & Chicken
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp each coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz each)
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Tajín seasoning
- lime wedges
- coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Make marinade: In a blender or food processor, combine cilantro, salt, pepper, oil, lime juice, lemon juice, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Place chicken in 2 large resealable plastic bags and add one-half of marinade to each bag (or use 2 large lidded glass containers). Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up 2 hours.
2. Make guacamole: Meanwhile, scoop avocado flesh into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork. Stir in tomato, onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high. Remove chicken from marinade and arrange on a grill rack; discard marinade. Grill, turning once halfway through, until cooked (165°F), 14 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare shrimp: Place shrimp in a large bowl. Drizzle lime juice over shrimp and toss to coat. Sprinkle Tajín seasoning over the shrimp and toss to coat.
5. Transfer chicken to a large platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Add shrimp to the grill. Cook, turning once halfway through, until opaque throughout and pink, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Serve chicken with shrimp, guacamole and lime wedges. Top with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 428
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 189 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 52 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 568 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g