- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 2½-lb chuck roast
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb fingerling potatoes
1 lb carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
4 cups beef broth or beef bone broth
1 28-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes, with juices
1 16-oz jar sliced pepperoncini, drained, half of liquid reserved
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp paprika
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet on medium, heat oil. Add roast and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes.
2. Transfer roast to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, broth, tomatoes, pepperoncini with reserved liquid, Italian seasoning, paprika, cayenne (if using), garlic and bay leaf.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4½ to 5 hours. Discard bay leaf.
4. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat and vegetables to a platter; drizzle with cooking liquid and sprinkle with parsley.
Note: This roast can also be served as a stew. Simply break up the cooked roast into smaller chunks. Divide the roast, vegetables and cooking liquid among bowls and sprinkle servings with parsley.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 662
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 172 mg
- Fat Content: 39 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 1877 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g