Spicy Italian Pot Roast
Our team was seriously impressed by the deep flavors in this easy-to-make roast. Pop it into the slow cooker before you head to work and come home to a comforting meal. Make sure you check all your ingredients to ensure they are Whole30 compliant.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 2½-lb chuck roast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped4 cups beef broth or beef bone broth1 28-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 16-oz jar sliced pepperoncini, drained, half of liquid reserved
- 1 tspx07Italian seasoning (TRY: Simply Organic Italian Seasoning)
- 1 tbsp paprika (TRY: Simply Organic Paprika)
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cayenne Pepper)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tx07bay leaf (TRY: Simply Organic Bay Leaves)
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet on medium, heat oil. Add roast and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, broth, tomatoes, pepperoncini with reserved liquid, Italian seasoning, paprika, cayenne (if using), garlic and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4½ to 5 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat and vegetables to a platter; drizzle with cooking liquid and sprinkle with parsley.
Note: This roast can also be served as a stew. Simply break up the cooked roast into smaller chunks. Divide the roast, vegetables and cooking liquid among bowls and sprinkle servings with parsley.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 662
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 172 mg
- Fat Content 39 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 1877 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g