Winter Kale & Chicken Salad
This salad is filling and packed with an array of flavors and textures. The warming ginger dressing is the perfect complement to protein-packed chicken, tangy feta and crunchy pecans.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, meaning it packs a powerful nutritional punch per typical serving. One cup of kale provides more than 100% of the daily minimum target for vitamin C and more than 200% for vitamin A. The latter nutrient also supports immunity, as well as skin and brain health. Additionally, kale contains smaller amounts of key minerals, including potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, and phosphorus. It also supplies energy-supporting B vitamins and some plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and plant protein.
- 4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 12 cups torn baby kale
- 4 pears, diced
- ½ cup full-fat feta cheese
- 1 cup unsalted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with
parchment paper. Place chicken on baking sheet and sprinkle with one-half of each pepper and salt. Bake until cooked through, 25 minutes, then remove from oven and shred or chop into pieces.
2. Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a jar with a tight-fitting
lid, combine vinegar, oil, ginger, maple syrup and remaining
one-half of each pepper and salt. Cover jar and shake well.
3. Among serving bowls, divide kale, chicken, pear, feta,
pecans and dressing.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, store leftover salad components separately in fridge. Assemble salad when called for.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 670
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 90 mg
- Fat Content 44 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 409 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g