Za’atar Olive Keto Bread
You’ll love every morsel of this savory bread made with almond and coconut flours. Rolling it in Parmesan and additional za’atar before baking gives it a punch of flavor reminiscent of traditional garlic bread. It’s best served warm, so reheat leftovers in a toaster oven.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil + additional for greasing pan
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1¼ cups blanched almond flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp za’atar, divided
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 large egg whites
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan. In a small skillet on low, add oil and garlic; cook for 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; let cool. Remove garlic and reserve for another use. Reserve oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, lemon zest, baking powder, 1 tsp za’atar and salt; mix well. In a small bowl or mug, mix 3 tbsp warm water and vinegar. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. Stir vinegar mixture and 2 tbsp reserved oil into dry ingredients. Fold in egg whites until almost completely incorporated, then fold in mozzarella and olives.
4. Combine Parmesan and remaining 1 tsp za’atar in a medium bowl. Using an ice cream scoop, form dough into balls and roll into Parmesan mixture. Place dough balls next to each other in the center of the loaf pan. (NOTE: Don’t worry if pan isn’t filled.) Drizzle dough with remaining reserved oil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into 10 slices. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 178
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 346 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g