Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Love veggie noodles? Check out Sweet Potato Puttanesca with Chicken & Swiss Chard.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash cut side down in a large baking dish. Add enough water to cover bottom of dish in a thin layer. Cover with foil and bake until flesh is tender when pierced with a fork, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and use a fork to scrape out flesh in spaghetti-like strands; add to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare pesto: In a food processor, combine basil leaves, walnuts, ginger and 1/8 tsp salt. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With processor running, slowly pour in ¼ cup oil through the feed tube. Scrape down sides of bowl; run processor again and slowly pour ¼ cup water through the feed tube. (NOTE: If you prefer a thinner texture, add more water, 1 tbsp at a time.)
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add squash, 1/8 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and cook, stirring gently, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Divide among 4 plates. Top each plate of squash evenly with pesto. Wipe out skillet.
- In same skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium. Season shrimp with remaining ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Add to skillet and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned and opaque in the center, about 4 minutes. Top plates evenly with shrimp. Drizzle lemon juice over top and garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.
- Serving Size 1 cup squash, 1/4 of shrimp and pesto
- Calories 484
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 26 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 415 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g