If you’re looking for a low-carb version of this comfort food, swapping zucchini for pasta is a no-brainer. Cashews are the base of the filling, so you can make the recipe dairy-free if you use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan.
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 12 large fresh basil leaves + additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 zucchini, trimmed
- Pinch sea salt
- 1½ cups all-natural marinara sauce
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare cashew cheese pesto: Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight or at least 4 hours; drain and transfer to a food processor. Add lemon zest and juice, basil leaves, 2 tbsp Parmesan and garlic; pulse a few times to break down nuts then process, adding 1 to 2 tbsp water, until mixture reaches the consistency of ricotta cheese.
2. Using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler or mandoline, thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into ½-inch-thick planks. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes; blot zucchini to remove salt and moisture on the surface.
3. Spread ¼ cup marinara on bottom of an 8-inch square ceramic or glass baking dish; top with 2 layers of zucchini, one layer running top to bottom and the second layer running right to left. Spread half of roasted bell pepper over zucchini, followed by half of cashew cheese pesto. Spoon ½ cup marinara over cashew cheese pesto. Repeat 2 layers of zucchini, remaining half of bell peppers
and cashew cheese pesto and ½ cup marinara. Top with 2 layers of zucchini, followed by remaining marinara. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover dish and set oven to broil. Broil for 3 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle additional basil over slices before serving.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate 3 servings of lasagna
and reheat when called for.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 365
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 10.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 480 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3.5 g