Salmon Oat Cakes with Rosemary Potatoes & Greens
Fiber-rich oats act as a natural and filling adhesive in these tender oat cakes. To add a visual pop – and a burst of flavor – we’ve imprinted hardy redskins with a sprinkling of fragrant rosemary.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more quick & easy recipes here.
Hands-on Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 5-oz pouches wild salmon
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb redskin potatoes, scrubbed and each cut lengthwise into 4 ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, divided
- 1 lb collard greens, ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- In a food processor, grind oats into a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with 3 tbsp water. In a large bowl, combine salmon, onions and mustard powder. Add oat mixture to salmon mixture and stir well. With a ¼-cup measure, scoop salmon-oat mixture, pressing down with your fingers to pack lightly. Tap out onto a cutting board and flatten gently with your hand to form a 3-inch patty. Repeat with remaining mixture to form 8 patties in total; set aside.
- In center of a large nonstick skillet, drizzle 1 tsp oil. Lightly dip 1 flat side of 1 potato slice into oil. Sprinkle oiled side with 1/8 tsp rosemary and quickly transfer slice, oil side down, to edge of pan. Repeat with remaining potatoes and rosemary, gradually placing slices closer to center of skillet. Place skillet on medium-low heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until bottoms are golden. With tongs, carefully turn each slice and cook for 10 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate large nonstick skillet on medium. Working in batches, add remaining 1 tsp oil and patties; cook each batch for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until golden-brown. Transfer to a large plate, cover loosely to keep warm and set aside.
- Reduce heat on empty skillet to medium-low. Add greens and sprinkle garlic over top. Add 2 tbsp water, cover and cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, until greens wilt. Divide greens, patties and potatoes among serving plates.
TIP: Don’t have a food processor? Simply use a clean coffee grinder to whirl your oats into a fine powder.
Nutrients per serving (2 patties, 4 potato slices, ¼ firmly packed cup greens): Calories: 378, Total Fat: 10.5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Omega-3s: 1,400 mg, Omega-6s: 560 mg, Carbs: 37 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 37 g, Sodium: 445 mg, Cholesterol: 73 mg