Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
You save: 580 calories, 58 g total fat, 28 g saturated fat, 186 mg cholesterol
- 1/2 oz dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 lb lean round steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 equal pieces (about 4 oz each)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp whole-wheat flour, divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 slices whole-wheat toast, crusts removed and toast cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- Place dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup boiling water over top. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a meat mallet, rolling pin or bottom of a heavy skillet, pound steaks to 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp flour in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in a separate shallow dish. In a food processor, combine toast, onion, oregano, thyme and garlic powder. Process until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a third shallow dish.
- Add steaks to dish with flour and turn to coat both sides. Shake off excess flour and transfer steaks to egg whites. Turn to coat both sides and transfer steaks to bread-crumb mixture. Turn to coat both sides.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until brown on outside and cooked to medium on inside (cook slightly longer for well done).
- Prepare gravy: Drain rehydrated mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid, and chop mushrooms. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add both chopped and cremini mushrooms and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until mushrooms soften and release liquid. Add reserved mushroom-soaking liquid and beef broth and bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and remaining 1 tbsp flour. Add milk mixture to mushrooms and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture thickens. Spoon gravy over steaks just before serving.
Nutrients per serving (4 oz steak and 4 oz [1/2 cup] gravy): Calories: 313, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 35 g, Sodium: 302 mg, Cholesterol: 52 mg