Hearty Winter Bison Stew
This lean, nourishing, and soulful winter bison stew features a chorus of eye-enhancing carrots, fiber-fueled parsnips and peas, and hearty russet potato.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love this bison stew? Check out other bison recipes here.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb lean bison or beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 medium Russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-high and add oil to coat pan. Add half of meat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes turning to brown all sides. Transfer browned meat to a rimmed plate, then repeat cooking steps with remaining meat. Cover plate with meat and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion and shallot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until onions are softened and lightly browned. Add thyme and allspice, stirring for 30 seconds. Add vinegar, then increase heat to medium-high and cook for about 1 minute, until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Return meat to pan, adding 3 cups water and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.Add carrots, parsnip and potato and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Remove 1 cup liquid and vegetables from pan and transfer to a blender. Purée vegetables and liquid until smooth. Return purée to pan, add peas and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 223, Total Fat: 4, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 24 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 102 mg, Cholesterol: 60 mg