Red Pepper & Mango Salsa
Joselyn Fenstermacher, who works for the United States Antarctic Program at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, showcases some of the veggies she grows in the Station's surprisingly lush growth chamber in this sweet and tangy salsa.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 5 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper or small poblano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 to 3 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and toss well to coat.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 50, Total Fat: 0.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 11 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 1 g, Sodium: 17 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Learn more about Joselyn’s South Pole gardening exploits on our blog!